Your ability to effectively answer interview questions comes down to effective interview preparation. Effective interview preparation can increase your personal confidence, improve the content of your answers and demonstrate to the interviewer that you’re serious about the role.
A useful strategy to prepare for interviews is to create a list of potential interview questions, write down some key points you’d like to include in your answer and then have a friend or family member practice asking you some questions.
Below is a good base of questions to consider during your interview preparation.
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why do you want to work here?
3. Why are you interested in your career field (e.g. accounting)?
4. Why do you think we should pick you for the role?
5. What are your strengths?
6. What are your development areas?
7. What are your career plans/ goals?
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
9. Why are you leaving your current job?
10. What’s your biggest achievement?
11. What are your salary expectations?
12. Do you have any questions for us?
Behavioural questions – tell me about a time when you:
13. Demonstrated Leadership
14. Solved a problem
15. Dealt with a difficult situation
16. Overcame a setback
17. Demonstrated Communication skills
18. Had to make a difficult decision
19. Had a goal that you didn’t reach
20. Had to deal with a difficult team member